IMGW-PIB research and development activities focus on the following domains:
- Agrometeorological and agrohydrological studies on crops forecasting and agriculture protection.
- Studies and research in radiation and thermal balance.
- Subject co-operation in measurement methodology and observations carried out within meteorological network.
- Study of physical processes in surface layer of the atmosphere.
- Studies and research on climate of Poland and its neighbouring areas, applied climatology and studies on antropogenic impact on climate forming events and processes.
- Specialized climatological expert opinions to meet the needs of various economy branches.
- Elaboration of methods for air pollution state forecasting.
- Study of background air chemical pollution and its transformation in the atmosphere.
- Study of air conditions impact on atmosphere radioactivity.
- Study of rivers using teledetection techniques.
- Research of lakes in the fields of hydrology, water quality and reclamation.
- Water resources dynamics and modelling of hydrological processes.
- Water termology and evaporation.
- Monographs of rivers.
- Operational forecasting models.